Desert Medical Notice of Privacy Practices
Our Privacy Pledge to Customers:
We understand that medical information about you is very personal. We are committed to keeping your protected health information (PHI) safe and secure.
Desert Medical Equipment are required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your PHI;
- Provide you with this Notice of the company’s legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your PHI;
- Abide by the terms of this notice;
- Notify you following a breach of unsecured PHI;
- Notify you if the company is unable to agree to a requested restriction on how your information is used or disclosed;
- Accommodate reasonable requests you may make to communicate health information by alternative means or at alternative locations; and
- Obtain your written authorization to use or disclose your health information for reasons other than those listed above and permitted by law.
Desert Medical Equipment reserves the right to change its information practices and to make the new provisions effective for all PHI it maintains. Revised notices will be available to you upon request by mail, in our office and on our website.
Your Health Information Rights
You have the right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information as provided by 45 C.F.R. §164.522; however, the company is not required to agree to a requested restriction unless services are paid out of pocket in full;
- Obtain a copy of the company’s Notice of Privacy Practices upon request;
- Inspect and obtain a copy (paper or electronic) of your health file as provided for in 45 C.F.R. §164.524;
- Amend your health file as provided in 45 C.F.R. §164.524;
- Request communications of your health information by alternative means or at alternative locations;
- Revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken; and
- Receive an accounting of disclosures made of your health information as provided by 45 C.F.R. §164.528.
- File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated by contacting Desert Medical Equipment, ATTN: Kamran Meshkani. You can also file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Offices for Civil Rights by sending a letter to 200 Independence Ave, S.W., Washington, DC 20201, calling 1-877-696-6775, or visiting www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
How Desert Medical Equipment May Use or Disclose Your Health Information
The following examples demonstrate how we may use medical information about you without your written permission. EXAMPLES:
- Treatment: Use and share medical information about you for purposes of treatment. An example is sending medical information about you to your doctor as a part of your plan of care.
- Payment: Use and share medical information about you so we can be paid for treating you. An example is giving information to your insurance company.
- Health Care Operations: Use and share medical information about you for our health care operations. A few examples are compiling information for patient satisfaction surveys, possible treatment options and/or appointment reminders.
- Research: We may share your medical information for research projects, such as studying the effectiveness of a treatment you received.
- Public Health: We may report certain medical information for public health purposes. For example, we are required by law to report births, deaths and certain diseases to the state.
- Public Safety: We may, and sometimes have to share medical information about you in order to prevent or lessen a threat to the health or safety of a particular person or to the general public.
- Required by Law: We are at times required by law to report or share certain information. For example, we must report abuse or neglect. We must also cooperate with law enforcement personnel. For example, if the police present a search warrant or court order, we must produce the information requested.
- Family Members and Others Involved in Your Care: Unless you tell us otherwise, we may share medical information about you with family members or others you have named to help with your care.
- Organ/Tissue Donation: We may share medical information with organizations that handle eye or tissue donation/transplantation.
- Workers Compensation: We may share your health information in order to comply with the Worker’s Compensation regulations.
- Coroners, Medical Examiners, and Funeral Directors: We may share medical information about deceased patients with the above-listed entities.
- Government Services: We may use or share medical information about you for national security purposes.
Uses and Disclosures of Your Health Information, with written authorization
The following examples demonstrate how we may use medical information about you with written permission. EXAMPLES:
- Sale of PHI: Disclose your protected health information in exchange for direct or indirect remuneration.
- Marketing: Use and share your protected health information to send you marketing materials.
- Fundraising: Use and share your medical/demographic information about you for fundraising purposes.
Effective Date: This Notice is effective as of September 23, 2013
If you have any questions or complaints, please contact the Desert Medical Equipment, ATTN: Kamran Meshkani
1001 North Weir Canyon Road, Anaheim, CA 92807 or call (877) 298-9000